VACANCY IN THE OFFICE OF THE CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
The Coast Water Works Development Agency (CWWDA) is a State Corporation created under the Ministry of Water, Sanitation and Irrigation pursuant to the Water Act, 2016 and is one of the Nine (9) Water Works Development Agencies in Kenya. CWWDA replaced the Coast Water Services Board (CWSB) on 3rd May 2019 through gazette Notice No.28 of 26th April 2019. The former Coast Water Services Board was established through Gazette Notice No. 1328 of 26th February 2004.
Under the Water Act of 2016, the mandate of CWWDA is to develop and maintain sustainable water and sanitation infrastructure within the Coast region.
The Agency wishes to recruit a self-driven and result oriented Kenyan to fill a vacancy in the Office of the Chief Executive officer at its Headquarters in Mombasa to facilitate delivery of its mandate.
Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the following vacancies in the Agency: -
Mode of application
- For the detailed job description and specifications of the Chief Executive Officer’s position, kindly visit our website at www.cwwda.go.ke.
- Interested and qualified individuals should download the CWWDA Application for Employment Form on the Website fill and forward the same enclosing copies of academic and professional certificates, copy of National Identity Card, detailed CV indicating work experience, current remuneration and employer, daytime telephone contact, both office and mobile, names, addresses and emails of three (3) referees to the address below not later than close of business on Monday 23rd January through the post office, email or hand delivery clearly indicating the position on both the cover letter and envelope.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to obtain and be in possession of the following documents at the interview stage:
- Police Clearance Certificate
- Tax Compliance Certificate from KRA
- Clearance from Higher Education Loans Board where applicable
- Clearance from a registered Credit Reference Bureau
- Academic and professional certificates
- Any other documents which may be requested before the interview date
Note: The Agency shall submit names of all shortlisted candidates to the Ethics and Anti-corruption Commission for integrity verification hence submission of self-declared forms is not a mandatory requirement at this stage.
Applications indicating the title for which a candidate is applying, in sealed envelopes may be addressed to:
Coast Water Works Development Agency,
Mikindani Street, Off Nkrumah Road,
P.O Box 90417-80100
The applications can also be dropped or sent by courier to Coast Water Works Development Agency, Mikindani Street, Off Nkrumah Road, Mombasa during working hours between 8.00 a.m. and 5 p.m.
All applications should be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for submission of applications is 5.00 p.m. on 23rd January 2023.
CWWDA is committed to implementing the provisions of Chapter 232(1) of the Constitution of Kenya on fair competition and merit, representation of Kenyan diverse communities and affording equal employment opportunities to men and women, members of all ethnic groups and persons with disabilities. PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES, THE MARGINALIZED AND MINORITIES ARE THEREFORE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Incomplete applications will not be considered and any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Chief Executive Officer is responsible to the Board of Directors for the implementation of the Agency’s strategic goals and the management of its resources including giving direction and leadership for the achievement of its mission. In addition, the Chief Executive Officer is responsible for the day-to-day operations and administration of the Agency.
a. Job Specifications
The duties and responsibilities of the Chief Executive Officer entail:
- Accounting Officer of the Agency;
- Implementing decisions of the Board of Directors;
- In consultation with the Board, be responsible for the direction of the affairs and transactions of the Agency, the exercise, discharge and performance of its objectives, functions and duties;
- Ensuring the maintenance of efficiency and discipline by all staff of the Agency;
- Exercising leadership and managerial oversight of the Agency’s core mandate and functions;
- Providing general oversight of all CWWDA activities, managing the day-to day operations, smooth functioning and efficiency within the Agency;
- Providing leadership in the development of the Agency’s programs and assuring quality programing and organizational stability through development and implementation of standards and controls, systems and procedures, regular evaluation and performance management system;
- Maintaining effective collaboration and partnerships with organs of Government and Government agencies, county Governments, international organizations, private sector, non-governmental organizations and other Stakeholders
- Promoting values and principles as spelt out in Article 232 of the Constitution of Kenya in the operations of the Agency;
- Developing and implementing an effective performance management system;
- Exercising and performing any other functions which the Board of Directors may determine from time to time.
b. Grading structure
CWWDA career guidelines provide for only one position of the Chief Executive Officer in the Agency, who is designated and graded as CWWDA 1. The appointment will be for a period of three (3) years renewable once for a similar period of time subject to satisfactory performance and delivery of set performance targets and outcomes as determined and evaluated by the Board.
c. Qualifications and person specifications
For appointment to this grade, a candidate must:-
- Have at least Fifteen (15) years proven experience in any relevant field.
- Have Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Law, Human Resource Management, Project Management, Commerce or any other discipline relevant to the work of the Agency from an institution recognized by the National Commission for University in Kenya.
- A Master’s degree in Engineering, Law, Human Resource Management, Project Management, Commerce or any other discipline relevant to the work of the Agency from an institution recognized by the National Commission for University in Kenya will be an added advantage.
- Have knowledge and experience in policy formulation, management and procedures of the Government.
- Leadership course from a recognized institution lasting not less than four (4) weeks.
- Demonstrated results in work performance.
- Professional qualification and membership to a professional body where applicable.
- Proficiency in computer applications.
d. Key competencies and skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Communication skills
- Strategic and innovative thinking
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to mobilize resources
- Negotiation skills
- Report writing skills
Refer to https://cwwda.go.ke/careers for full requirements for the postion and access to the employment form